Saturday, May 3, 2014

BagBagto- Tantandak

1. Bicol(?) version.  Wiki Answers.com
What is Bagbagto?

Answer:
BagBagto is a Filipino folk song.

The lyrics go like this (as memorized from my teenie years in the Bicol region):

Bagbagto bagbagto bagbag to lambing
Tulambing tulambing tulam pawikan
Pawikan pawikan pawi kalanay
Kalanay kalanay
Bunay!

2. Igorot(?)   Physical Education, Health, and Music II, revised Ed 2000
ISBN 971-23-2813-9. Published by Rex Book Store, Inc. 856 Nicanor reyes, Sr s, Sampaloc, Manila




3.  Igorot(?) or Ifugao(?)
Facebook entry with comments, < https://www.facebook.com/KankanaeyIgorotAndCountrySongs/posts/155280337929434 >

(Mamerto says it is not Ifugao but maybe Bontoc and said to ask Kidlat.  Kidlat said it sounded like Ifugao (but did not deny it as Bontoc) and to ask Mamerto.  Grace Nono  identified it as Tantandak.  She said they were random words strung along and that it was no more than a children's playing song...a song that is taught in primary school all over the Philippines )

FB User:Kankankae-Igorot wrote:
This is a composition based on Ifugao chant. Our forefathers chant this during war.

Bagbagto, bagbagto-lambik,
Tulambik, tulambawikan,
Bawikan, bawikalanay,
Kalanay, kalanapunay,
Napunay, napunayagta,
Nayagta, nayagtagumba,
Tagumba, tagumbaya-aw,
Baya-aw, baya-atinbao,
Antinbao, Atin-bayanggaw,
Bayanggaw, bayang-gawistan,
Gawistan, gawistanabog,
Tanabog, tanabuga-ay,
Buga-ay, bugayesikan,
Yesikan, yesikamad-eng,
Kamad-eng, kamad-eyeng-as,
Eyeng-as, Eyeng-asaas...
(I learned this from Lolo & Lola when I was in Grade school, i dont know if correct spelling, ps...)

Comments:
  • Anita A. Santos ala malagip kna kanayn ay kankantaen bayaw k adi,ay diyos t alwa
    d n.
  • Kankanaey - Igorot This is a composition based on Ifugao chant. Our forefathers chant this during war- we might not know the meaning but I think its not non sense...I read po kc sa comment ng iba na nonsense rhyme daw to...
  • Anita A. Santos Bakit naman nonsens yan eh lagi nga kinakanta ng bayaw k kc parang old song nila yan.
  • Dudze Maggay Velasco Actually, this is called TANTANDAK. It was not sung during the war but it is a form of lullaby, a soothing chant sung to young children before they go to sleep. This was part of my research when I submitted a project proposal to the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
  • Cawalo Gas i dont think so that this was based on ifugao chant,in 1980's i always hear my late grandma sing this one when we are harvesting rice in tadian.this is a pure kankanaey composition
  • Kankanaey - Igorot Thanks for sharing your ideas -Well, I learned this song from my late grandparents in Benguet when I was a kid but I did never ask them to explain or translate what does this song means- I just heard from other lolo's that this is based on Ifugao chant. According to them, they sung this song during war. And thanks to Dudze for adding more info now we know that our lolo's did not only sing this song during war (per my research) but it is also a form of lullaby. To Cawalo, we appreciate if you will be able to find the translation in Kankanaey or English and if you may share to this site.
  • Cawalo Gas hahaha, very good if we can do that, but as you know that is what they call "luglugamit", and if you see, the words are very deep igorot language and very difficult to understand, just like the words the elders used before when they have "daing", "daw-es", "bayao" or "kadungyasan", you cannot understand, only the elders can understand it, but now most of these elders who do the "daing" and daw-es etc. are gone, in tadian almost all of them are gone i really miss them. As far as I know this song is usually sung by my grandma when we harvest or plant rice, according to her their ancestors sing it to avoid drowsiness when they're at work.
  • Beth Patz Cguro san naey anay ket luglugamit kanan takod tadian teken abes san teken bka sanay ket every ili ket wada nan kantanay kmn niba nanteteneken cgulo...sunga si kaado ado tako et way nateke teken nan kaistolyaanay intako din nge
  • Cawalo Gas mabalin, ngem i still believe that this is a pure kankanaey composition, apay nga din dey nabakebakes ya nakanakay ed ili ed kasin ay doy yan ammo da na
  • Cawalo Gas alangan ay adi ay inmey dadoy ed ifugao laeng ay mang-adal san nay subject tako ay luglugamit, hehehe
  • Vicente Eil nangnangngeg ko ken lolak ngm diak ammo man meaning an ahhahha
  • Dartland Lee D Adi ngen nan "Bagbagto" ay naay ket siya sa nan chey ay-ayam da ay binab-a-ogan si bato?
  • Dartland Lee D The Bontoc of Mountain Province have the bagbagto, a song ritual for harvest. --National Commission for Culture and the Arts..
  • Jaela Maneclang ano pong meaning ng bagbagto? may translation po b sya sa english or tagalog?
  • Kankanaey - Igorot sorry Ms. Jaela, wala kaming translation e, sana lang nung buhay pa Lola ko e pinatranslate ko, maybe she knows...

 4. 7th Sabangan Gagayam Festival, in Sabangan, Mtn Province.
Tantandak likened to western nursery rhymes, northphiltimes.blogspot.com
address: < http://northphiltimes.blogspot.com/2013/04/community-billboard.html >

excerpt:
Other events were literary musical contest in three categories, elementary, high school and adult.

High School category was “dad-dad-at”( story telling in a songlike manner) . Another was uggayam by high school students.

Uggayam is like dad-dat-at but done in high pitch singing uggayam as ad lib.       “Liwliwa” which is like saying a privilege speech in a songlike manner was also an event along with “Tantandak” akin to the nursery rhymes of the western world.
5.  Igorotblogger.com, post titled "More fun stuff Bagbagto"
Includes post by author Bill Bilig(pen name?) and 29 comments. 
"This is a song I learned from my high school Practical Arts teacher. I don’t know what teachers call the subject these days but during our time, Practical Arts is where we learn stuff like carpentry and gardening. I’m not quite sure how this song relates to either carpentry or gardening but I’m glad our teacher taught it to us. I appreciated him then but I have a much higher appreciation for him now. I’m also not quite sure if the song means something. I think it’s just a play on words and the words themselves might not mean anything. I say “might” because I don’t know all the Cordillera languages and “Bagbagto” just might mean something in Ifugao or Ibaloi or Kalanguya or Isneg.

I also don’t know what this song is for. (Ha ha, for someone who wants to present Igorot culture to the world, I’m totally clueless on this one.) I can’t recall if our teacher explained it to us but I’m not a good listener at times. Anyway, the song goes like this.

Bagbagto, bagbagtolambik
Tolambik, tolambawikan

B

awikan, bawikallanay
Kallanay, kallanapunay

Napunay, napunayagta

Ayagta, ayagtakumpa

Takumpa, takumpayyaaw
Payyaaw, payya-astibaw

Astibaw, astiballangaw

Ballangaw, ballangawistan
Gawistan, gawistannabu
Tannabu, tannabugaoy

Bugaoy, bugapappayos

Pappayos, pappajutiken

Jutiken, jutikameg-eng

Kameg-eng, kameg-iyungas

Iyungas, iyu assa-as

Assa-as, assa-as binyas
I think there are different versions of “Bagbagto”. In fact the last lines above may not be correct but that is how my faulty memory remembers them. The idea is to go back to the beginning but I can’t remember the words that should lead us back to “Bagbagto”. Anyone who knows the right words out there?"

Comments:

Anonymous:  
I wonder where I can get the meaning of this song. Some said that the tongue of the said song is already extinct. Other than an Ifugao’s children’s chant (obviously because the lyrics are mnemonically arranged so that they’re easy to remember) about stone-throwing, I’m very curious about its meaning, ‘coz it surely reflects the culture of the Ifugaos in general....

MAE: 
 agbgato,Bagbagto lambik
Tulambik, tulambawikan
Bawikan, bawikalanay
Kalanay, Kalana Punay
Napunay, napunayagta
Nayagta, nayagta kumpa
Takumpa, takumpayaaw
Payaaw, Payaaw timbaw
Atimbaw, Atimgawistan
Gawistan, Gawistanabu
Tanabu, tanabugaay
Bugaay, Bugaay madum


Rica
Bagbagto, bagbagto lambik
To lambik, to lamba wikan
Bawikan, bawi ka lanay
Ka lanay, kalanay kalanay punay
Napunay, napunayagta
nayagta, nayag takumpa
Takumpa, takum payao
Payao, payao timbao
Atimbaw, atimgawistan
Gawistan, gawista nabu
Tanabu, tanabugaay
Bugaay, bugaay madum
Bagbagto, bagbagto lambik
To lambik, to lamba wikan
Bawikan, bawi ka lanay
Ka lanay, kalanay kalanay punay


 Dan Henry
Feb 7, 2011
The meaning of Bagbagto is a ston throwing dance...they use mud and stones


mats
May26, 2011
Dr. Pungayan wrote an article on the meaning bagbagto...

 
 TruBlue
July6, 2011
The “real bagbagto” as I’ve witnessed during my primary studies at All Saints Mission in Bontoc was menacing at best. Teenagers from the Samoki side of the Chico River and the other teenage warriors on the Bontoc side were zinging river rocks to each other. The distance between the warring pricks was at least 100 yards, maybe less. Your only defense was to have an eagle eye to monitor where those river rocks are coming from and dance around sideways/backwards in order not to be hit.
Believe this was a yearly ritual.



 Pio M Sian M.D.
Dec 11, 2014
I was just toying on the first three lines on a song my mother sang when I was a baby, 1941. She was not Ifugao, she probably heard it from some friends or help. I was amazed there was a real song elsewhere.
Bless the computer and not all lullabyes are Brahms.
 Traveler1312
April 28,2013
Bagbagto was a song taught to us in either the first or second grade. My teacher taught us the song and I had no idea what it meant except it originated in the Ifugao region. I went to a public school in the southern Tarlac province. After more than 40 years, I still remember some of the words. Thanks for writing them here.
  Gill Salas
Aug 17,2013
Bagbagto, bagbagtolambik
Tolambik, tolambawikan
Bawikan, bawikallanay
Kallanay, kallanapunay
Napunay, napunayagta
Ayagta, ayagtakumpa
Takumpa, takumpayyaaw
Payyaaw, payya-astibaw
Astibaw, astiballangaw
Ballangaw, ballangawistan
Gawistan, gawistannabu
Tannabu, tannabugaoy
Bugaoy, bugapappayos
Pappayos, pappajutiken
Jutiken, jutikameg-eng
Kameg-eng, kameg-iyungas
Iyungas, iyu assa-as
Assa-as, assa-as binyas 
 Gervin dea Gabrienero
Aug 17, 2013
Bagbgato,Bagbagto lambik
Tulambik, tulambawikan
Bawikan, bawikalanay
Kalanay, Kalana Punay
Napunay, napunayagta
Nayagta, nayagta kumpa
Takumpa, takumpayaaw
Payaaw, Payaaw timbaw
Atimbaw, Atimgawistan
Gawistan, Gawistanabu
Tanabu, tanabugaay
Bugaay, Bugaay madum
  TruBlue
Aug 25, 2013
@Traveller1312: It’s unlikely Bagbagto originated in Ifugao, most likely Bontoc, Mountain Province. You must have an Igorot teacher then, it’s hard to imagine it being taught in the primary grades. 
 
 6. Rice(?) Harvest Song of Bontoc of Mtn Province, 
Early Philippine Literature, Dr. Lilia Quindoza-Santiago, 
National Commision for Culture and Arts, Philippines
"The early inhabitants of the Philippine archipelago had a native alphabet or syllabary which among the Tagalogs was called baybayin, an inscription akin to Sanskrit. It was through the baybayin that literary forms such as songs, riddles and proverbs, lyric and short poems as well as parts of epic poems were written. The bulk of these early literature however was just passed on through oral recitation and incantation and were transcribed into the Roman alphabet only centuries later by Spanish chroniclers and other scholars. It is believed that replacement of the baybayin by the Roman alphabet must have obliterated a significant aspect of indigenous Philippine literature."...
..."In the north, among the Ilocanos, the more popular song forms are the dallot and the duayya, both love songs, and the dung-aw which is a dirge or a wake song. The Bontoc of Mountain Province have the bagbagto, a song ritual for harvest, while the Ivatan up in the Batanes islands have three most popular folk song forms: the laji, the kanta and the kalusan. The laji is a lyric rendition of a song usually sung after a day’s work when people gather together in their houses to chat and drink the native wine, palek and just find time to be merry.  
   
7. Bagbagto, the Song and the Rock Fight: A Study of the Language-Culture Nexus in the Southern Cordillera
Conference featuring presentations on indigenous arts, music, literature, and prehistory. 
At Salle de cinema, musee du quai Branly, France.  26 April 2013 
Patricia O. Afable (Asian Cultural History, NMNH, Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC).

Patricia O. Afable’s main interests lie in the ethnography of communication, ethnohistory, oral history, and material culture, with a primary research focus on northern Philippine highland cultures and societies. She was educated at the University of the Philippines and Yale University.

The song Bagbagto has been variously characterized as a children’s “nonsense” song, a native “lullaby” taught in the primary schools of the early American period, and a Cordillera identity marker. In the early 20th century, its long, uncensored versions had been part of young people’s sexually-laden taunting games. The rock-fight of the same name, a formerly more widespread boundary-marking ritual between historically distinct descent groupings, has been recorded in an area encompassing speakers of Central and Southern Cordilleran languages.
I focus on the cultural content at the intersection of language and culture exemplified by this pair of performances. This adumbrates a linguistic ideology, which I will outline through pragmatic, symbolic, and ethnohistorical notes on communicative exchange in the northern Philippine highlands. Here, an areal ethnolinguistic approach assumes that rules of interpretation of speech are shared across and beyond “ethnic,” “linguistic,” and territorial borders.
8. Fagfagto -stone-throwing game to begin camote-planting season. Entire article is expressed in context of belief in anitos of spirits and ancestors. It also make s much reference to Lumawig.  Is Bagbagto a song to Lumawig asking for blessings for a good harvest?

personal Blog(?) of Christina Sianghio entitled: Bontoc
Address: < http://litera1no4.tripod.com/bontonigorot_frame.html#top >
Scroll down to Performing Arts, sixth paragraph.

"...The bagbagto/ fagfagto refers to both the song and the stone-throwing game that the men of Bontoc and Samoki town engage in to begin the camote-planting season.  "


What is Lumawig's relationship to Chayote?

No comments:

Post a Comment